- The Peter Thiel Degree: Jessi Hempel of Backchannel profiles the Thiel Fellowship and discusses the use of a college degree in entrepreneurship.
- The Criticality of Timing: Scott Belsky, investor and Behance founder, on the dynamics of time in growing a startup.
- How to Launch a Startup in Europe: The Founder Institute goes through the legal, funding and institutional framework of the European tech scene.
- PatientPing (Boston, MA), patient care coordination: $31.6M Series B from Andreessen Horowitz, Leerink Transformation Partners.
- Augmedix (San Francisco, CA), remote scribe service: $23M undisclosed from McKesson Ventures, OrbiMed.
- Elysium Health (New York, NY), dietary supplements: $20M Series B from General Catalyst.
- Vida Health (San Francisco, CA), patient-health coach matching platform: $18M Series B from Canvas Ventures.
- Emanate Wireless (Cleveland, OH), healthcare IT services: $1.5Mundisclosed from undisclosed angels.
- Breather (Montreal, Canada), on-demand workspace booking: $40M Series C from Menlo Ventures.
- Movinga (Berlin, Germany), home removal: $18M Series C from Global Founders Capital, Earlybird Venture Capital, et al.
- The Coaching Inn (Boston, UK), coaching inn chain: $12.6M undisclosed from Business Growth Fund.
- autoGraph (Seattle, WA), emotional intelligence and compliance: $4.7MSeries B from Rally Capital.
- Finicity (Salt Lake City, UT), financial data aggregation and insights: $42MSeries B from Experian.
- Vestorly (New York, NY), content marketing for financial services: $8.5Mundisclosed from Richmond Global Ventures.
- Clearsurance (Newburyport, MA), crowdsourced insurance: $2M Seed from Undisclosed.
- Nantero (Woburn, MA), carbon nanotubes for microchips: $21M undisclosed from Globespan Capital Partners.
- Menlo Micro (Irvine, CA), digital-micro-switch platform: $18.7M undisclosed from Microsemi Corporation, Corning, Paladin Capital Group, et al.
- ES Explore (Dallas, TX), hydrocarbon indication at seismic resolution: $12Mundisclosed from Sovereign Resources LLC, Unity Hunt.
- KeyMe (New York, NY), key copy kiosks: $25M undisclosed from Benefit Street Partners.
- PlayMonster (Beloit, WI), family entertainment products: $23.5M Credit Facility from MB Business Capital.
- SnapLogic (San Mateo, CA), big data platform: $40M Series F from Vitruvian Partners.
- Zepl (San Francisco, CA), end-to-end data analytics: $4.1M Series A from Vertex Ventures.
- Kenna Security (San Francisco, CA), risk exposure management: $15MSeries B from PeakSpan Capital.
- Fhoosh (Miami, FL), cybersecurity software platform for business: $2Mundisclosed from Volta Global.
- SparkPost (San Francisco, CA), cloud email delivery: $10M Loan from Wellington Financial.
- Waggle (New York, NY), pet/animal video platform: $2.3M Seed from Raine Ventures.
- AxonVR (Seattle, WA), VR haptics: $5.8M Seed from NetEase.
- AI/Machine Learning–
- Alluvium (New York, NY), AI for industrial use cases: $2.5M Seed from IA Ventures, Lux Capital, Bloomberg Beta.
–Biotech/Health– 5 Deals: $94,100,000
–Enterprise– 4 Deals: $75,300,000
–Fintech– 3 Deals: $52,500,000
–Industry4.0– 3 Deals: $51,700,000
–Consumer Products– 2 Deals: $48,500,000
–Data/Storage– 2 Deals: $44,100,00
–Cybersecurity– 2 Deals: $17,000,000
–Consumer Internet– 2 Deals: $12,300,000
–AR/VR– 1 Deal: $5,800,000
–AI/Machine Learning– 1 Deal: $2,500,000